A pandemic occurs when a new virus spreads easily from person to person.
A pandemic can occur at any time - the last being in 2009. Fortunately the virus caused only a mild flu illness in most people affected. A future pandemic virus may cause more severe illness.
What are we doing in North Yorkshire?
We work together to plan for:
- Management of the demand on the NHS and social care.
- Distribution of anti-viral medication to the public.
- Vaccination with the newly developed pandemic vaccine once available.
- Public awareness.
- Making plans to deal with the potential number of deaths.
- Making sure individual organisations have their own business continuity plans in place to cope in times of staff shortage.
Where can you get further information?
NHS Direct 111
NHS Direct (Text Phone) 0845 6064647