- How often will I be contacted? – You will receive periodic emails where we will tell you about any recent incidents and upcoming training sessions. For actual incidents, it may be infrequent texts, but we can’t always predict when emergencies will occur!
- What training do we get? – There will be an induction session offered to all volunteers, and then there will be annual training events and offers to participate in live multi-agency exercises.
- Why do we have to have a mobile phone? – We need a primary method of communication with volunteers for incident notification and to be able to keep in contact with volunteers who have been deployed.
- Do we need special equipment? – Just bring your lanyard and fluorescent tabard (provided at the initial training session) and warm clothing. You do not need to provide anything else. All other necessary equipment will be provided.
- Are we covered by insurance? – All of our volunteers are covered by the North Yorkshire County Council public liability insurance.
- Do we need to be DBS checked? – No. This is not a requirement due to the nature of the roles.
- Do we get expenses e.g. mileage? – Unfortunately we are not able to offer expenses. We are extremely grateful to our volunteers for offering their time for free, but will often provide you with a cuppa and a biscuit!
- What if I am not available? – There is no obligation to be available for every call for help. We are very grateful for any time that volunteers can give.
- How do I respond to your initial text for help? – If you ARE available then please reply to the text from us as follows:
“We need your help! There’s currently an incident in … and we need some help. Please text back RFA YES if you’re available. More details will then follow.”
If you are NOT able to help then do not reply to the text and we will assume you are not available.
- What if I want to leave Ready for Anything? – You can leave our volunteer list at any time. Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us that you no longer want to be a volunteer. We will delete all your personal details from our database and you will no longer hear from us.